- BS: 1985, ChE, Princeton University
- MS: C.P.G.S., 1986, Cambridge University
- PhD: 1991, California Institute of Technology
- National Academy of Medicine (NAM) Member, 2016.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Fellow, 2011.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Fellow, 2008.
- Computing in Chemical Engineering Award (AIChE CAST Division), 2005.
- Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellow, 2001-2002.
- ASEE Ray Fahien Award, 2000.
- Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award, 1996-1999.
- ASEE Section Outstanding Teacher Award (Illinois/Indiana), 1996.
- National Science Foundation National Young Investigator Award, 1992-1997.
- Biosystems analysis and control: the application of systems engineering principles to the analysis of regulatory mechanisms in biological systems
- Biomedical control systems synthesis: control-relevant design of drug delivery devices
- Application of advanced control schemes to nonlinear, multivariable, constrained industrial processes with emphasis on: particulate systems and pulp & paper operations
- Characterization of process nonlinearity for control-relevant design
- Large scale applications of MPC including plant-wide control and cross direction control of sheet/film processes
- Experimental studies of nonlinear model-based control of particle size distribution in a semi-batch emulsion polymerization reactor